Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Corporate Commission in Progress: Motts


Motts
oil on canvas
30'' x 30"

I haven't updated my blog in quite a while, so I thought it would be a good idea to show what I've been up to. This is the first of five 30 x 30 oil paintings I'm doing for a corporate commission. I've been involved with this project for a number of weeks now, working primarily on photography. If you follow my blog you will remember that the first two paintings were rejected. I was assured that this was not a result of their quality, but rather a decision to emphasize different products.

Following numerous committee meetings on the subject, the client has now chosen five products they feel good about. They wanted to show a variety of packaging types, and these single serving apple sauce cups illustrate one of those. So, last week they gave me the thumbs-up, and when I completed my final ebay painting, I started work on this.

At this point I have about four days into the painting, with probably another three to four to go. Working large is still new to me, and so this is slow going. It's good being forced out of my comfort zone, and I'm hoping this experience will send me in a new direction. By that I mean large. All of my galleries at one time or another have asked for larger pieces. I've done a few larger paintings to date, maybe this project will give me the confidence to go there more often.


9 comments:

David Malan said...

Beautiful Neil, Thats seems like a great idea for a company to get their products in such a attractive format. I feel your pain with the large sizes, I started into one recently and it nearly killed me, I don't have the patience, it's now leaning against the wall waiting for me to regain my confidence.

Megan Wolfe said...

Wow, that's a big applesauce. A week of work is really fast though, and it looks awesome already. :D Can't wait for the finish!

Jelaine Faunce said...

This is an excellent piece. I love it, Neil!

Terry said...

As always, this is outstanding. The larger size doesn't look like its causing you trouble, I think it will be fabulous if you take all your work there!

James Neil Hollingsworth said...

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your confidence in the outcome. Going from 6 x 6 to 30 x 30 is truly a challenge. Part of that is the patience aspect mentioned by David. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping the final piece meets, or at least approaches, my expectations, and most importantly, pleases the client. Thanks again, Neil

Michael Reid said...

Brilliant stuff!
So brilliantly realised.

Anonymous said...

Dear Neil, the Mott's looks great. Looks like it's in your comfort zone - elegant and strong. Spoke with you & Karen at Falconer opening, 9/2007. Would like to correspond more!
www.robertsabinart.com

Will Sabin said...

Dear Neil, Mott's looks great, very comfortable for a no comfort zone. Your work could be much bigger and still look just as strong, I suspect. Met you and Karen at Wynne/Falconer at your 2007 opening. I would very much like to correspond with you more - I need suggestions. Please check out www.robertsabinart.com

Anonymous said...

YOur paintings are really really good