Thursday, October 21, 2010

Air Show 2010

Gary Rower in his Stearman

Atlanta's biennial airshow was held this past weekend, and I got to Dobbins Air Force Base bright and early. My intent was to spend the entire day there, and that is exactly what I did. I've loved airplanes since I was a kid, and have spent time in and out of aviation throughout my adult life. In recent years, it's been time spent mostly out, so when the airshow comes to town, it's a welcome event.

B-25

My goal wasn't to just be an observer, but also to shoot some stock photography for potential paintings in the future. I've done a few paintings of aircraft in the past, and really have a hunger to try another. I was hoping there would be some bare metal planes on static display, because I love the shiny surface. I wasn't disappointed. There was a really nice B-25 on display, along with a beautiful DC-3, and a Twin Beech.

Stearman

Two years ago the promoters of the event drastically underestimated the number of people that would be attending the airshow, and they were basically overwhelmed. It was a mess, but this year they learned their lesson, and I have to say they handled the 200k that came beautifully.

DC-3

The weather could have not been more perfect. A mild 76 degrees and "severe clear" skies. It was a great day. I haven't been at the controls of an aircraft since 1987 (man has it been that long), and it felt really good to be surrounded by so many planes and aviation enthusiasts.


The Canadian Snowbirds

The Blue Angels were the headliners of the day, but I have to say, I was most excited about seeing the Canadian Snowbirds. I had never seen them before, and they put on a great performance. I know this doesn't have anything to do with art, but I just wanted to post about a wonderful day devoted to flight.

p.s. Still working on the cow. Just beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.


2 comments:

Chris said...

Cool. The Snowbirds used to practice near the town I grew up in. It was common to see them flying in formation in the distance.

Susan Hediger-Matteson said...

Great shot!