Thursday, August 07, 2008

Vintage Milkshake Mixer No. 5


Hamilton Beach Milkshake Mixer No. 5
oil on pre-primed panel
6'' x 6"

Tonight I'm back to the Hamilton Beach Model 30 Milkshake Mixer, but I've painted it on a new type of panel. Historically I have cut, and primed my own mdf or plywood panels, but this was done on a commercially made product from Dick Blick. I have to say I really like it. It's got a great surface that takes paint nicely, and it comes with a pre-cut slot in the back for hanging.



The price is considerably more than buying one large piece of mdf at the local home store, and cutting it into multiple panels, but it is not unreasonable. I think the next time I'm back at the art supply store, I'll be picking up a few more of these. It wouldn't surprise me, if at some point in the not too distant future, I was using these exclusively for my small paintings. If you'd like to purchase the painting above, you can access the auction by clicking here.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neil as a picture framer and artist myself I have little faith on the archival qualities of MDF which is a pulp and chemical combination that gets spongy and brittle over time.
Russian birch ply or Mahogany ply is what I use for larger works and for smaller things I found a great local product that is a combination of 1/8" birch mounted on 3/4" softwood frames.I could send you an image of it if you wish
Here is a larger work I did on birch ply. I prefer it given that I find canvas grain an annoyance to painting detail. Another trick is to use canvas and to fill the grain with Liquitex modelling paste lightly sanding it with 100 grit sandpaper
here is a link to my larger work painted on birch

http://isi2isi.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/holts-cropped4.jpg
regards
Isa

Amy Longley said...

How the heck do you do it? They are so smooth and real. Now I have craving for a milkshake,...and cherries.

A Reason to Paint said...

Wow! Love this one - the shapes in your reflections really draw the eye.