Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Vintage Scissors


oil on hardboard panel
6'' x 6''

sold

I was in the mood for a little fine detail today, so I decided to paint these scissors. I borrowed them from Bob Deyber months ago intrigued by the complex pattern on the handle, and the age of the steel. They were placed upon the soapstone table in our kitchen. The table was a great find Karen and I came across at a retro furniture store we frequent called City Issue. The table was originally used in the science lab of a high-school. The wooden skirt beneath the stone top is covered with graffiti, applied over the years by a multitude of distracted students.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful composition -- and beautiful colors. Your work always brings me such joy to look at. I have plans to one day own a piece from you. It's one of my dreams.

belindadelpesco.com said...

I could pick them up, and feel the weight of them in my hands.

Josh Cassidy said...

Wow! You are truly an amazing painter! How the heck to you make it look so real?!

PaintingEachDay said...

Your skill and artistic viewpoint is amazing Neil -

Bonnie G Morrow said...

Excellent! Beautifully done - a work of ART!

Takeyce said...

amazing.

James Neil Hollingsworth said...

Thanks to you, one and all!

Nicole and Adam said...

Really great work. I'm a bit of a newcomer to the whole paint and post world but so far I've found it really a great. I havent sold anything yet but thats ok. You're work, however, is fantastic. I am really going to keep a close eye on your site.

C. Robin Janning said...

Seems like all the good words like "wow" and "amazing" have been used here. Excellent and beautiful -- also used. Really phenomenal work -- also the "calla lilli" in an earlier post is truly sublime!!

aw said...

Just gorgeous! I am just in love with your work!! All of it!!! Phew. :)

Jeane said...

I have always had a fondness for antique objects with beautiful design. Those scissors are gorgeous, and your painting does them justice.