Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Pickles


oil on hardboard panel
6'' x 6"

sold

I'll be painting "studies" in the coming weeks to test some ideas for larger paintings I plan to use for a show at Twinhouse in January 2007. Since I intend to use a square format for all of the paintings in that show, I felt the six by six size I've been using for my auctions would be a good platform to experiment with theme and composition. Tonight I've decided to paint one of my favorite foods. The dill pickle. These were a new find offered by Mount Olive. JalapeƱo dills. Good eatin.


8 comments:

Jelaine Faunce said...

jalapeno olives are a staple in our house. polish dills are my hubby's favorites. i'll have to try out the jalapeno dills. something tells me they'd be a hit. speaking of hits, this piece is fabulous. i really like the way you pulled the color of the pickles out. good job on this one!

Bruce Conant Cox said...

I've become a fan. Excellent work.

David R. Darrow said...

Outstanding. Love your work, Neil!

Making A Mark said...

I very much like the set-up and lighting on this one - very simple, very effective. Nice painting too!

Jeane said...

Looks delicious. The pickles, and the painting!

James Neil Hollingsworth said...

I appreciate it you guys!

Mark Oberndorf said...

You are the absolute best when it comes to painting light refracting through glass. I learn so much from your work, Neil. Thanks much!

Anonymous said...

really striking. love the way the light illuminates only about a third of the subject, the rest is in shadow, but the mind perceives the whole.