Tuesday, March 17, 2009

2nd Completed Commission: Learning


Learning
oil on canvas
24'' x 24"

Here is the second completed Chicago commission. The theme of this painting was Learning. The first thing that came to mind as I mulled over this subject was wooden blocks. I spent a considerable amount of time on ebay searching for vintage wooden blocks, and discovered quite a few listings. Most of them were suitable, and reminiscent of the blocks from my childhood, but when I came across these I knew I had found exactly what I was looking for. They're hand crafted by a woman named Brenda, and sold under the banner My Fathers House 4. You can find these blocks, and other items she creates with that "vintage" look on her blog. Now it's on to number three. The subject of that will be Family.


13 comments:

artbyakiko said...

What an amazing realism! This is stunning, as all of your works!
~Akiko

Joseph Cross said...

Amazing work. seriously. :)

Karin Jurick said...

Beautiful lighting - so crisp. Outstanding Neil.

Brenda said...

Neil the painting is just beautiful! Thanks so much for giving me the chance to see it!
Brenda

Joy Argento said...

Unbelievable! Beautiful work!

Pierre Raby said...

Architectural and poetic composition -you achieved here a wonderful painting with a deep and rich "Northern lights" palette. Those colors are mysterious and highly attractive Neil!

Ann Switzer said...

Wonderful.The reflections are beautiful.

Paul Coventry-Brown said...

You know that I have always loved your work Neil, but you seem to be rising to a more rarified level. It is beautifully observed and totally entrancing (I am leaving now to hang up my paintbrushes ;-)
Cheers mate,
Paul

L.Holm said...

Breathtaking. The spaces you create are magical. I love the intimate, quiet focus of your paintings, and the wind-swept light of your wife's paintings, too. What an amazing team! - Liz

Huckleberry Arts said...

Brenda does AWESOME Work and she is a wonderful person to boot! She did blocks last year for me as a gift for my mother and needless to say they are my mothers favorite!!

If you love touch of old in your house Brenda is the one to look at!! She does a Perfecto job on her blocks and all her works!

r garriott said...

WOOOOOW. Incredible.

Shazia said...

Very cool and very interesting! I love what people do with techniques these days.

shazia said...

I am very glad to see these lovely and beautiful detail.

Regard
http://www.pakistanjobs.pk