Friday, August 29, 2008

Dumbo?


Dumbo
oil on pre-primed hardboard panel
6'' x 6"

Dumbo is the last of my outside paintings for this week. I have to say this was without doubt the most fun of this series. Karen and I were driving to Gallery Street to pick up a couple of her new giclee's, and on the way we passed one of those nomadic carnivals that set up in parking lots. I made a mental note to return the next morning, and do some photography. When I got there the delapidated state of most of the rides deflated my hopes for getting any good material. Then I came across the little elephant ride, and cheered up. The elephants were in great shape, with a high gloss finish, and bright colors. In the end I wound up taking a lot of photos of the entire set up, but these little guys were the hit of the party. I think that one of these could eventually wind up as a much larger painting sometime in the future. It would be a hoot to paint one of these really big. If you interested in bidding on this painting, you can access the auction by clicking here.


9 comments:

Chris said...

Love it. Very cool. Great composition!

James Neil Hollingsworth said...

thanks chris!

T.Ford said...

Great piece!
Ditto on everything Chris said. I was surprised to see this was such a small painting...it comes across much larger. Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

very cool! :-)

JAN said...

wonderful art very eye catching

Todd Bonita said...

Wow! Great fun here Neil...you should get outside more often...this is a wonderful series. Your blue skies are so deep and rich with color.

All the best,
Todd

The Paint Studio & Gallery said...

Hi,
Just came across your blog, love this painting,so fresh and playful. I just finished reading Water for Elephants and love the carnival/circus atmosphere, something kinda of sad amongst all the dazzle.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic and fun piece. I'd be all for taking it big. I think it would be great as an oversized painting.

Ambera said...

I love the clouds, of course. Beautiful job.