Friday, November 14, 2014

120 Grit

120 Grit   |   24 x 24   |   Oil on hardboard panel


























Every once in a while a painting comes along that really kicks your butt, and for me 120 Grit has been one of those paintings. I never imagined when I began this piece that I'd spend as much time and effort on it as I have. I like how it turned out, but getting here was a real challenge. I've taken a number of breaks during the process of getting this done, ie. some house stuff, a trip to Charleston for the mentor show and at least five days trying to get my new iMac up and running. Transitioning from a six year old 24" iMac still using Snow Leopard to a new 27" Retina (which is beautiful by the way) using Yosemite has had me in tech mode practically non-stop. I've got most of the problems licked, but there's an ongoing complication involving Photoshop, my Wacom tablet and Yosemite that's really got me stumped. And, judging by the number of online discussion groups related to this glitch I'm not alone. I'm praying that either Wacom or Adobe comes up with a solution really soon. 


3 comments:

Kyle said...

holy shit. you can feel the metal just looking at it. love the name too.

Karin Jurick said...

Kyle took the words right out of my mouth. Outstanding Neil.

SteveC said...

Good thing I can type this because my jaw is on the floor. All those machined edges and their highlights, as well as the ribbed handle and knob? How exhausted were you mentally after you finished this? If I didn't love to paint so much, I think I'd quit after seeing this! Unbelievable, Neil. You are the man...