Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Elliot Fouts Gallery Realism Invitational


Tractor - 36 x 36 - oil on canvas

I can't believe it's almost been a year, but it's time again for the Elliot Fouts Gallery Realism Invitational in Sacramento. My plan, when I was first approached, was to do multiple paintings, but time got away from me, and I was only able to complete one. But . . . I think it's a good one.

I found this 1950's riding toy tractor at a local antiques store that allows me to rent items. It was sitting out in front of the shop, and I knew I had to paint it. That fantastic red, and those graphics were too much to resist. On a canvas size of 36 inches I think it is nearing 1:1 scale, close to life size.

There are a whole bunch of great realist painters represented this year, so if you're in the Sacramento area the evening of October 8th you should stop by and check out the show.


9 comments:

Teresa N. Fischer said...

I LOVE this , so much!

Karin Jurick said...

Outstanding Neil.

Sharon Rose Smith said...

Stellar, I love the 'Knee Action.'

MrCachet said...

I'm genuinely interested in knowing how you set this up with the overhead lighting and dark background. FANTASTIC!

Lampros Lampinos said...

if this is a painting wow!!! i believe it's a photo! very nice indeed

Steve Drew said...

Mad skills, James! Great piece!

James Neil Hollingsworth said...

Thanks all. Got to love that, "knee action".

John Vander Stelt said...

Another great subject captured. Very cool.

prismsurface said...

Very interesting article, it definitely got me thinking by Revathi