Tuesday, March 08, 2011

B-25 In Progress: Day One

24 x 72 oil on canvas

For people who regularly paint large this wouldn't appear all that impressive, but for me gazing upon a canvas that requires two easels to support is a pretty daunting scene. This piece also comes with the added pressure of a deadline. It has to be completed in three weeks if it's to be ready for the Realism show at Mason Murer on April 8th. Suffice it to say, I'm freaking out. On the other hand, this is a subject I've wanted to paint for ever. It combines my love of flying and vintage aircraft with my love of painting.

One more side note about the Realism show, my nephew called the other night to tell me that he saw my Mule No.2 in an ad in Atlanta magazine promoting the show at Mason Murer. Karen and I went out the next day and picked up a copy. Andrea at the gallery creates all their ads and she did a great job. She's got a great eye for design and the use of type. It's wonderful seeing my paintings in print. I still can't believe that I get to do this for a living. It took fifty years and three previous career moves, but it was worth the wait.


14 comments:

Bonnie Heather said...

Wow! That is going to be one awesome painting. I love your work.

Rohit Kulkarni said...

its cool to finally settle into doing things that you always wanted..

I like the way this painting is coming up.. eager to see finished work.. 3 weeks is going to be a long wait.. :)

MrCachet said...

Since it's pretty much head-on, it really doesn't give the nose art a lot of exposure. Or - will it have any? I've seen Heavenly Body at an air show, and the Memphis Belle which is a B-17, but The B-25 just looks more striking from any angle. I can't wait to see it.

Jeanette Jobson said...

It is large, but you can do this in your sleep. You'll ace it, especially as its a subject you love.

Dean H. said...

When I first read your commentary on this...deadline and all...I started freaking out with you...Lol.
But then, I realized that you'll make it come out great.

James Neil Hollingsworth said...

Thanks all. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. Mr "C" it does have nose art but from this angle it's just colored squiggles. The aircraft is "Panchito" and is part of the DAV Airshow Outreach Program to increase public awareness of disabled veterans.

CremeMagnolia said...

I'm a bit late to the party but I wish you would post a finished picture...and yes a two easel painting would be daunting!

m collier said...

Yikes!! I face an empty 30x30 canvas and get freaked out. I salute you.

Fay Akers said...

if you're anything like me you work best under a deadline.

John Vander Stelt said...

This is going to be a fun one for us to watch. Being nervous about it is a healthy mindset I think. We have the greatest of confidence in you. Buckle up, ready for take off...

Darren Maurer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darren Maurer said...

mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! That looks like a brand new easel, which means more large paintings to come???

Beth West www.northernskyart.wordpress.com said...

You can do it! It will be fabulous. I wonder if after awhile you'll find that you actually enjoy working in the larger format.

Amarjeet Prasad said...

Hello there! I really enjoy reading your blog! If you keep making great posts I will come back every day to keep reading!
Paintings