Tuesday, February 02, 2010

PB&J No. 14

5.5 x 5.5 oil on hardboard
This is another example of the crop "down" method for ebay. I think working for over a decade as a graphic designer helped me develop an eye for cropping images. It was a task employed on a daily basis. I'm not saying that my particular take on composition appeals to everyone, just saying that I like them. I used to state that I was searching for the heart of the larger image, but I realized very quickly that the large composition has many hearts. If you look close enough, each photograph provides a rich source from which to extract many small paintings. Each substantial, and unique on their own. This snippet comes from a painting I just shipped to Dean Day Gallery in Houston. If you'd like to bid on this painting, you can access the auction by clicking here.


5 comments:

Carol H. said...

I love this one, the peanut butter looks especially tasty! I can't believe it's so small, it reads as a much bigger painting.

Anonymous said...

ahhh to grasp an understanding of the art of composition or the hearts of composition within an image would be wisdom worth having. clearly you are wise:)
beautiful work...

Darren Maurer said...

Neil,
I think your theory about learning composition skills from your days as a designer are right on. I started as a designer also and tend to crop my images in a similar manner. I have always referred to it as "finding the picture within the picture". I have always admired your work and sense of composition.

John Vander Stelt said...

I will echo Darren's comment. My work as a graphic designer constantly aids my decisions while painting. I particularly like the negative space you create in these croppings. They feel just right. Thanks, Neil.

Dean Grey said...

James!

This is just impressive!

I love the placement of everything especially the knife shooting straight up.

Perfection! I don't know how you do it!

-Dean