Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Skull


Skull
oil on canvas
6'' x 6"

I have to admit that this particular painting was done strictly for pleasure, with no regards as to its' marketability. This little skull was used in one of the Chicago commissioned paintings, and I just wanted to paint it again. Skeletons are so beautiful to me, and as I have found out, really fun to paint. This is the third one I've done so far, and it was a real treat. I inherited this skull from Jeff and Leslie Cohen a number of years ago, and it resides on our bookshelf with my modest collection of artifacts from the natural world. I can't say for sure what animal it came from. I'm tempted to say that it was an Opossum, but I'm not positive. If there are any zoologists out there that can identify it, let me know. So, if you are one of those who is drawn to this type of subject, and would like to bid on this painting you can access the auction by clicking here.


4 comments:

Carolina said...

Creepy, creepy, creepy... yet very interesting...
Regards,
Carolina

Micah Neff said...

This is gorgeous. Are you of O'Keefe lineage? lol

Julie Bloch said...

My husband is a big skull collector. He said it looks like a skunk skull.

It is a beautiful painting. My husband really liked it alot as well.

Julie

James Neil Hollingsworth said...

Thanks all, and a special thanks to Julie's husband for his authoritative identification of the skull.