Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hereford


Hereford  |  24 x 30  |  Oil on canvas


























This will be the final painting headed up to Tree's Place Gallery on Cape Cod for my two person show with M. Collier on July 14th. I decided to venture outside the still life realm here at the end, and throw in one of my cows for this last piece. Every once in a while you've just got to paint a cow. This was one of my favorite shots from August 2010, when Karen and I drove down to Statesboro Georgia to visit Sandbriar Farms. Kyle Knight, the owner, was kind enough to let us roam around his fields, and take all the pictures we wanted. It was a very hot, but fun day.

I have to say it always feels good to finish up a number of paintings for a show, but I can never truly relax until they've been varnished, packed, shipped, and have arrived at the gallery intact. I should send these out early next week - with the exception of Hereford, that'll need to dry a bit longer. Then it's just a matter of waiting for the email that states, "they're here, and undamaged".

Now I've got to get to work on paintings for my other, neglected galleries. They've all been very patient this year, something for which I'm very grateful. 


7 comments:

helen said...

Here's looking at you kid!

Anonymous said...

Such a heart winning art you have framed in this painting. I would definitely love to buy this painting. Even from now I am searching Oil Paintings For Sale so that I can shop it on low price.

Amarjeet Prasad said...

Keep up great writing!!!

vintage sculpture
vintage home decor

Unknown said...

Your paintings are very nice ..
visit my blog too at www.mydrco.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love that you show your art works in galleries! I am just a starting out artist, so how could I get some of my works into some galleries?

Unknown said...

Hello! I'll be looking forward for your other posts. Keep it up! This blog could really help me out with my business. Anyway, all of the designs are really one-of-a-kind and it really is worth its price. This is definitely going to be a hit for Asian art lovers. Wow! This is cool. Thank you so much for sharing this one. You have such an awesome page! Most Renaissance sources, in particular Vasari, credited northern European painters of the 15th century, and Jan van Eyck in particular, with the "invention" of painting with oil media on wood panel. However, Theophilus (Roger of Helmarshausen?) clearly gives instructions for oil-based painting in his treatise, On Various Arts, written in 1125. At this period it was probably used for painting sculptures, carvings and wood fittings, perhaps especially for outdoor use. Early Netherlandish painting in the 15th century was, however, the first to make oil the usual painting medium, and explore the use of layers and glazes, followed by the rest of Northern Europe, and only then Italy. Early works were still panel paintings on wood, but around the end of the 15th century canvas became more popular, as it was cheaper, easier to transport, and allowed larger works. Venice, where sail-canvas was easily available, led the move. The popularity of oil spread through Italy from the North, starting in Venice in the late 15th century. By 1540 the previous method for painting on panel, tempera, had become all but extinct, although Italians continued to use fresco for wall paintings, which was more difficult in Northern climates. At our May Fine Art Auction on May 19, 2011, the top lot, “A Spanish Dancer” painted by American Impressionist, William Merritt Chase, sold for $105,300. Circa 1896 , in white dress, oil on wood panel, 14" x 9 3/4", 17 3/4" x 13 1/2" in original carved gilt wood frame. This work is included in Ronald G. Pisano's The Complete Catalogue of Known and Documented Work by William Merritt Chase (1849-1916)Vol 4, F.52.
Oil paintings MA

Unknown said...

Your use of planar analysis here is amazing. Really incredible work. love the eyes, the color combination - everything about it! You can also visit my site to see some great paintings by Tyeb Mehta and other artists.